Coconut Cream Pie
Cool, fluffy and rich with coconut flavor. This pie is a special treat, but not too sweet!
- 1 can Coconut Milk One can equals 1¾ Cup
- 1 ¼ cup Half and half or whole milk
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup Arrowroot powder (you could also use cornstarch)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut I use half sweetened and half unsweetened to cut down on the sugar a bit.
- ¼ cup additional coconut This is for toasting and garnishing the top of your pie.
- ½ pint heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
Single Pie Crust (or use store bought roll out crust)
- 1 Cup White Whole Wheat Flour (Prairie Gold) This is a light whole wheat and works well, if you have a heavy or coarse wheat flour, you may need to mix in half white flour to have desirable results.
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup Cold Butter Cut into cubes
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tsp vinegar
Combine the flour, salt and butter with a pastry blender. When it is like coarse crumbs, add in the cold water and vinegar. Gently work into a ball. Sprinkle your work area with a bit of flour. Roll out to a thin crust the size of your pie pan. Bake at 400° for about 10-12 minutes. While the crust is baking place about ¼ cup of flaked coconut on a baking sheet and let it toast for about 4-5 minutes.
For the Filling
In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut milk, half and half, 2 beaten eggs, ¾ cup sugar, ½ cup arrowroot powder, and the ¼ tsp salt. Using a whisk, mix over medium high heat and whisk until the mixture begins to bubble and get thick. It should feel quite thick. This could take 10-15 minutes. Once it is thick shut off the heat and stir in the 1 tsp vanilla and the 1 cup of coconut. Immediately pour into your prepared pie crust. Place in the fridge for at least four hours to cool and set
For the Whipped Cream
For perfect whipped cream, place the bowl and paddle of your mixer in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. Then immediately put the ½ pint of cream in there and begin mixing on high speed. Add in the ¼ cup powdered sugar. Watch closely for it to begin to thicken. Stop the mixer and check for thick peaks, don't over mix or you will have sweet butter!Once your whipped cream is done, spread it over the cooled coconut cream pie. Lastly sprinkle the toasted coconut on top. Serve up and enjoy!